Tuesday, September 10, 2013

We all went up the hill and returned as Winners

After returning back from Hyderabad Marathon on Aug 23rd 2013, Team PTC Parag, Umesh, Nitin, Sujit, Vijay and myself had another appointment, the following week Sept 1 2013. An appointment with beautiful hills at Satara.

When Parag, Umesh registered for Satara marathon, I felt it was sheer madness that would compel anyone to register a back to back marathons. I was not physical ready nor had ever tried a back to back long runs. I always took a week or two break if I ever tried more than 10K.

Last years experience at Satara marathon; running in rain in the beautiful mountains compelled me to take this adventure. Also looking at those registered I felt my effort was very very small; Parag, Sujit, Umesh, Nitin were running full marathon at Hyderabad and then following week they were to run a half marathon on these beautiful mountain terrain. Parag, Umesh, Sujit were running barefoot at both places. So my effort of running two back to back half marathon seemed a small effort in front of theirs. In a mad moment, I embarked on this adventure. I registered to this event.

After completing Hyderabad marathon where my performance was not as good as previous year, I returned exhausted. I waited for a quick recovery. On Wednesday, Team PTC veterans one by one started stating they are good and recovered for the next adventure. Sujit dropped the plan of running at Satara because of personal engagement.

 I was worried about my physical strength. On Friday I decided that come what may, I am going to run in these beautiful mountains. Determined, my strategy was to crawl the mountains, if I could not run or not fully recovered.

On the D-day, we all started in different cars to Satara. Satara is 120Kms from Pune. We were to drive down to the town a day before. We started at 2.30 PM and reached Satara by 5.00 PM. We went directly to Bib collection center. All PTC team members met at the Bib collection center.  There is no sign of any cloud. Last year the rain gods smiled and the event was so beautiful. This year it was all different.

I read the Satara Hill marathon brochure. It stated "All are Winners in Satara Hill Marathon". Given the terrain, I felt that was so true. They have introduced three categories. Lord/Queens of Hills: Those who complete the Half marathon (21Kms) by 1:15 min or 1:30 min, Conqueror of Hills: Those who complete in by 2:15 mins or 2.30 mins, Finisher of Hills: Any one who completes after 2:15 mins.

Interestingly there is no category for runners like me "Crawlers of Hills"

By 6.00 PM we checked into the hotel. We ate our early dinner and had a good night sleep.

Next day by 5.15 AM we went to Police grounds, the starting point. We took group photos and did some warm-up exercises. By 5.50 AM we were in the holding area. At sharp 6.00 AM the race flagged off.

I was running slowly and took a right turn at the police ground gate and started moving towards the foot hills. A fellow runner crossed past me. He had no leg from the thigh, limping, he had a great determination of completing this half marathon. All the fellow runners cheered him. This gave me further inspiration to complete this race. This totally changed my thought. With renewed energy from the fellow runner, I changed my strategy: Slow run up hill and then run down the hill to complete the marathon below 3 hours or better my last year timing of 3 hrs 15 mins. (It was a target I knew, would be tough to achieve)

Parag, Umesh, Nitin, Vijay dash off with all runners. I started crawling slowly... The gradient the start point is just a trailer of what is in store for us. I look at the sky. It was absolutely clear. No sign of rain at all. Usually this time of the year, this place would always have rains. But this day, we donot have a single cloud. But the weather was beautiful. Cool and breezy.

At around  2 and half Kms I saw the elite runners of 10K galloping like horse towards the hills. 10 Km runners had a little late start.

After four Kms I was at the foot hills. Looking at the green mountains, It looked as if they were smiling at us. A cool breeze kept the runners happy.  Though the sun was bright, the green mountains kept us cool. I saw the first glimpse of Satara town. The fog was settling down and it was beautiful. I started crawling up.

I reached 5Km mark when I saw  the first Lord galloping down the hills. I cheered him. He seems to be from Nigeria or Africa. I saw the second runner very close behind him. I thought would there be a Indian Lord. The third runner was indeed an Indian Lord. Cheering all the Lords and Queens who are running down the hills, this crawler started crawling up.

At 7Kms we reached top of the mountain and it started flattening. It was sought of a relief after a tough climb. I looked at my timer. It was already 1 hour 15 Mins. So All the Lords/Queens would have reached the finish line. I started picking up pace.

I saw Umesh in his barefoot tumbling down, Parag followed him. Nitin next and Vijay in a span of just 10 mins. All happily tumbling down. I felt one of them would be a conqueror of these Hills.

At 8Kms there was village. People from the village started cheering us with Dhol thasha (A kind of drum). I was totally exhausted. I wanted to act as if I was running to acknowledge their cheering but unable to that. I jogged past them. At 9Km, I reached my favorite spot where you could see the dam, reservoir, and green paddy fields down the glen.

At 7.5 Kms a view of the valley

A view of the mountains.
 
At 9 Kms the beautiful view of reservoir and the dam behind

Another view.


Satara Hill Marathon organizers had a unique way of putting some inspiring placards all the route. None could catch my attention as this one at 9.5 Kms. It said "Run this 1 Kms for your Mom". Almost at mid point, knowing that I just have to tumble down the hill, I started running at my peak pace.

At 9.5Km, I met my College mate from Hyderabad after a decade. A quick exchange of pleasantries I rushed towards the mid point. I similed when I was turning back. The simily on the ground at the half way point where we had to turn back was apt. Its all down hill. I knew that I would complete this race now.

If we proceed further from the half way mark we would reach Kas Plateau. It blooms with flowers this season. Satara Marathon Organizers are thinking of a full marathon next year to return at this beautiful point.

A beautiful view of Kas plateau 10Kms away from the Mid point of Satara Marathon. Runners do miss this in this run.
I ran and picked up my top pace. I wanted to make up for the lost time. At 11Kms, while returning back I met the fellow runner who inspired me at the start of the run. I cheered for him and started tumbling down.

Though the sun was bright, the beauty of the mountains was not reduced at all. A cool breeze kept all runners cool. The green mountains were so beautiful. I ran past the village where the villagers were still cheering with Dhol thasha. This time I did have to act. I was tumbling down with a great pace.

I was enjoying this part of the run. At 17Kms I saw the first blade runners. He was way ahead and was slowing down a little after an exhaustive run. I clapped for him. I wanted to run a short distance with him. But I could not control the tumbling down. I did not want to change my pace too.

I rushed down the foot hill and entered the town. At 19Kms a group of cheer leaders were playing a popular song from "Bhag Milkha Bhag" (A movie about Indian great Athlete Milkha Singh). This was a great energizer. I rushed past 20Km. I saw the center of the down town which had a statue of Shivaji Maharaj (Great Ruler of Maharastra).  I heard my timer announcing 3hours. By now its clear that I missed my target of make it sub 3hrs, now I was targeting to improve my previous year time. It is just 1.5 Km more so I ran at my best speed.

At the Finish Line, Team PTC, Nitin and Umesh were cheering me. I ran to the finish line completed with the best time compared to Hyderabad marathon and my previous Satara Run. This was good enough to enjoy. I saw fellow finishers and conquerors enjoying the post run at finish line.

Umesh and Nitin told me that I missed a grand dance at finish line. It seems all PTC runners joined Pune Running group and had set the impromptu dance floor on fire at the finish line. I definitely missed that. I attribute that to my slow running.

After 10 mins I saw the blade runner completing his run. I went to him and congratulated him. He told me that it was his first run and he enjoyed his run.

As the brochure said, All those who ran up and tumbled down the Satara Hill were Winners. I was part of this winning team.

5 comments:

  1. Good one Bhari... Keep running and breaking boundaries... We need to indulge in more madness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good description of the Marathon which is like a drushya kavya. keep writing. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice one, very good experience sharing !!

    ReplyDelete